Wipe-able book covering paper

All topics pertaining to bookbinding and the book arts

Wipe-able book covering paper

Postby Buechertiger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:51 am

Hey folks,
is anyone still listening?
I love using Efalin Feinleinen as covering material for boxes, as well as for making pouches for CD-folios. It looks maybe a bit like buckram on first sight. It is very tear resistant, thin, has a linen pattern (this is what "Feinleinen" means, it is my understanding that there are also other varieties of Efalin), and is - to an extent, of course - wipeable. Now that my German stock is getting low, I am wondering what similar product is available in the UK.
I mean, it is not too difficult to get it shipped to here from Germany (though expensive), but I am not married to the company. I am happy to hear any suggestions.

I have had a look myself in the meantime, of course. I think it might be a lot like the Pellaq paper, just that the latter has a lizard skin finish, and the former a fabric appearance.
My website and blog can be found here: http://kurzke.co.uk
Buechertiger
Supporter

Re: Wipe-able book covering paper

Postby Annied » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I still drop in, so someone's listening!

Efalin Feinleinen is a new one on me, but I'm off to Germany next week and a fellow hobby bookbinder is travelling with me and staying for the first week of my trip. We plan to go to Carta Pura in Munich and a quick look at their website shows that Efalin is something they stock. I'll definitely be having a look for it as I'm now curious.
Annied
Apprentice II

Postby Italicist » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Interesting -- I've never heard of this material. Alas, I don't know anything about procuring it in the United Kingdom, but I hope that you can find a local source.
Italicist
Apprentice II

Postby Buechertiger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Annie, did you find it?

I was unable to source anything remotely the same, and just ended up buying it in Germany and paying the hefty shipping costs. - It's great stuff! I can't believe it doesn't exist outside Germany.
My website and blog can be found here: http://kurzke.co.uk
Buechertiger
Supporter

Postby Annied » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

We never got to Carta Pura in the Spring. I was actually there last month, but it was a really quick visit as it was very near to closing time and I forgot all about the Efalin!! I've got to know a very nice professional bookbinder in Rosenheim and she's told me about a leather shop in Bad Aibling (Gerberei Scherer), so it's rather sidetracked me as they have some amazing skins there.
Annied
Apprentice II

Return to General Binding